Sunday, May 4, 2014

My first half marathon: Success! ...Sort of.

I mean, I finished it...!
1. This guy ran the entire half marathon in a Stormtrooper costume because it's Star Wars Day!
2. Pre-race mom and me
3. Elvis was cheering us on at mile 11!

Last night, I was too excited to sleep (which is understandable, a half marathon is a big deal!), so I only got 3 hours of sleep. Normally, that's not really a big deal, since I can act completely rational and function properly with 0 minutes of sleep, but again, this is a half marathon we're talking about!
So, my mom and I headed to Assiniboine Park, where the start and finish lines were and tried to keep our nerves in check. I didn't feel too nervous; I felt good. My legs didn't hurt, I had been able to keep my breakfast down (I've been having some stomach problems lately), and I was excited to do this!

As soon as we started, things took a turn for the worst. My legs felt weaker than weak, as if I had actually run the half yesterday, and my old injuries came back in a flash. All of a sudden, my calves were on fire, my knees ached and I was started to freak out. I wasn't even one mile down, and my legs were already done.
I managed to run the first mile without really stopping. I had some good music and people everywhere around me. But I started to feel worse and worse, to the point that by mile 4, I thought I was either going to puke or pass out, or both at the same time! I was ready to quit. I could barely walk anymore, much less run, and I just wanted it to be over.
I persisted. I wanted to finish this so bad, that despite it all, I kept going. I told my mom that I couldn't run anymore, and we would have to walk it. She insisted on running as much as possible, so we ran at very small intervals (like, 30 seconds-a minute of running and 3-4 minutes of walking) until about mile 7, when I officially quit. No. More. Running.
I was running on 3 hours of sleep and an empty stomach, and my calves felt like there was a knife stuck in them. We were halfway, and I was wanted to finish this, but it would have to be by walking, and that's what we did!
My mom walked a little faster than me, and even though I kept telling her she could run ahead and I would meet her at the finish line, she stayed with me the whole time. I honestly wouldn't have been able to do it without her. Merci maman. Je n'aurais jamais pu le faire sans toi.

The miles seemed to drag on forever, never ending and I felt like I wouldn't survive, but finally, mile 12 rolled around and before I knew it (actually, a lot after I knew it), we were a few hundred feet from the finish line. I decided to run. I needed to finish this running, so I went off, and almost tripped because my legs were too weak, and cross the finish line!
Waving at dad by the finish line.
That's us crossing the finish line!
I. Got. My. Medal!!!

I took us three and a half hours to complete this half marathon, but we finished it. And even if right now, my body is saying NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS WILL I DO THIS EVER AGAIN, my mind is even more determined to run another, and actually run it this time.
Can you tell I was tired?!

I finished the race, I got my medal, and I am so proud of myself for doing this, even if I am a little disappointed that I couldn't do better, there will always be another race, and next time, I will kick ass!

EDIT: The 2014 WPS Half Marathon has raised over 1 million dollars in support of Manitobans fighting cancer!!!


  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! So proud of you for finishing! And you did run quite a bit, even though not all of it. That just means you have a goal for improvement next time, right?! ;) And your mom is awesome! That's so cool that you were able to do the half together!

  2. Thank you!!!
    I will definitely do another one :)


Bella Lulu Ink Blog