Friday, July 31, 2015

Folk Fest 2015

Ever since I was little, my family took us to the Winnipeg Folk Festival. You can read about last year's Folk Fest here. The difference this year? I camped! It's the first time I've ever camped at Folk Fest and so it was a whole new experience, one that I highly recommend to anyone who attends the festival.

There were over 70 artists this year from all over the world, some of my highlights were Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Bahamas, Shakey Graves, Donovan Woods, Royal Canoe, and The Dirty Catfish Brassband. There was such a variety of artists, and many local artists showcasing our Manitoba talent.
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Bahamas
After the Main Stage show one night, my sister and I spent about an hour playing with glowsticks, making all kinds of shapes and things, including mushrooms, flowers and a turtle shell that I wore all night long.


My turtle shell

While I was volunteering at the Festival Music Store as a cashier, I was given a bunch of plastic geckos and frogs, which I then starting sticking to my water bottle... Those 6-hour shifts went by much quicker with this arts and crafts activity, though it really made me look like I was on all sorts of drugs, but hey, it was fun! Even my co-volunteer Sanjay helped me with this art project and we came up with a whole background story for the different animals on there. And yes, I did keep the bottle.



More Folk Fest art:


It was such a hot weekend, that I bought myself a scarf from one of the vendors and walked around with it only head all night, with my sunglasses too, and at some point, I decided that I became a hippie Jedi... I was probably the least "out there" of the people in the campground... From angels with 6-feet tall wings, to glowstick gladiators, to just plain naked. You'll always be surprised and it makes people-watching that much more fun!


As you can see, it's a hell of a lot of fun, and it's just a beautiful place. The lack of sleep doesn't even phase you and you get to hear incredible music all night long, even after the concerts are over, as bands and people are playing music in the campground all night, and the sun rises, just like the people, are incredible.


See you next year, Folk Fest!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog