Monday, February 24, 2014

Halfie Update: Weeks 1 and 2

Two weeks ago, on February 10, I started training for my first ever half-marathon! I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice program and I'm loving it! It's really been helping me build up my cardio and speed and so far, so good! There's only been one run out of 8 that I had to cut short.

One thing with running, though, is the injuries that come with it. I've been getting horrible shin splints. Like, limping off the treadmill-painful. I've been going to see the Athletic Therapy Centre at the University of Winnipeg, since it's covered by my student health insurance and I am so impressed with them! They have helped me so much! Of course, I still get shin splints, but the exercises they gave me kills the pain instantly.
Honestly, though, I think it's the shoes. I've been running in these old New Balance shoes that I bought like 5 years ago for gym class in high school and that was good enough.

But now that I'm running a lot more, it was time to get new shoes. My mom and I went to Running Room and she got me these beauties:

Nice huh? Bonus: green is my favourite colour! They are soooo comfortable. Right now, I only wear them indoors, and I keep my old shoes for my long runs outside on Sundays.

Speaking of running outside, it's still pretty cold here in Winnipeg! Which means bundling up! I borrowed a pair of wind-cutting pants and face-mask thing from my mom, paired with my octopus sweater (yes, there is a hat on the hoodie! Can you see it?) and touch-screen gloves! The only part of me that was cold were my lungs!

What about the other layers? Well, I only wear two layers: the outer layer and the inner layer which is nice and funky! I absolutely love these leggings, though I wouldn't actually wear them out in public.

Up to now, I've run a little over 24 miles, and I am improving every day! Let's keep it up and kick this halfie's butt!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog