Friday, April 17, 2015

Deutschland Part 1: Munich

Two weeks in Germany went by in a flash. I had such an amazing time there and I miss it already! I decided to divide my posts into two: Munich and Berlin/Leipzig, simply because I did too many things to have it all in one post, but I didn't do many touristy things in Leipzig, so I can fit it in with Berlin, where the biggest thing was the half-marathon. My trip started in Munich, but also ended in Munich, so I have a lot to say about this city, which I also fell in love with. (If you know me, you know that no matter where I am in Germany, I will love it).

I landed in Munich around supper time, and by the time I met my couchsurfer and settled in, it was already too late to really do any sight-seeing, which was perfectly fine with me, since I was completely exhausted. But the next few days were packed with things to do! My first day, I spent at Dachau concentration camp memorial. That was especially intense. I walked through by myself with my audio guide and listened to personal accounts of prisoners and soldiers who liberated it. I walked through a prison that the prisoners themselves built, I stood in a gas chamber and saw the crematorium ovens. Even three weeks later, it still makes my heart sink.


Later on, I went out with my couchsurfer and explored Munich. It's such a lovely city with beautiful old buildings and so much colour!




The next day, I headed to Neuschwanstein Castle. It was a two-hour train ride to a little town called Fuessen, then a 20-minute bus ride to another town called Hohenschwangau, where the castles are located. From there, I visited Hohenschwangau Castle, and after a 20-minute uphill trek, the Neuschwanstein Castle.

I headed to Berlin the next day, and a week later, I was back in Munich. It was a lot more relax when I came back; I visited Nymphenburg Palace, watched the surfers at the English Garden, and visited Bavaria Film Stadt, which is the biggest film studios in Europe, which was a film student, was extremely cool!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog