Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Name

Emilie Bordeleau-Laroche
What a name. It's a very French name with actual meaning behind it.

First off, there's my first name: Emilie. In English, it's pronounced exactly like "Emily," it just has the french spelling, which I personally find prettier. I think part of the reason I was name Emilie is because of a famous character in the books and TV series Les Filles de Caleb, named Emilie Bordeleau.

Now, for the last name. For a french-speaker, that name is a piece of cake, but for the english-speaker... this name looks quite difficult. I mean, how in the world do you pronounce E-A-U together!? It's actually quite simple: Bor-da-lo-La-raw-sh. See? Easy peasy.
If you take the name apart, if get something like this: Bord de l'eau and La roche. Bord de l'eau literally means "edge of the water"/"shore" and la roche means "the rock."

Yes, I was teased a lot. People saying "hey look! It's Emilie, the rock on the shore!" It never bothered me. I actually find it kind of poetic.

Originally, my parents wanted to call me "Marina." A very pretty name, but combined with a last name like mine would make it a little silly: Marina Shore-The Rock... So, I was given the name Emilie.

I really do like my name, though. I think it's a pretty name, and I definitely love giving people a hard time with it!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Bella Lulu Ink Blog